Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Wrap Up and Monday plans

Anna and I visited the youngest children's Sunday School class. It was alot like ours. They sang songs (including Zaccheus was a wee little man, and This little light of mine), did a little skit, made a craft. It's hard to find anything to suggest for improvement.

Anna and I went to the home of a Romanian family for lunch. The only English speaker was their 13 year old son (Daniel, not his real name but he didn't think we could properly pronouce his Romania name). He spoke English very well and told us a lot about the life of a Romanian middle schooler. The family was very gracious and the food was great and plentiful. I was very proud of Anna who ate everything they offered her. Eggplant spread, chicken soup, sarmalas (cabbage rolls with pork and rice), pork in tomato sauce, mashed potatoes (Anna's lit up when she saw that come out), and ice cream for dessert.

After we returned from the Roma village, we got cleaned up for the evening worship service which lasted from 6 to 8 p.m. Travis, Will, and I (Sara) gave our testimonies and Will and Courtney sang two songs. Then there were seven (I think) testimonies from people who will be baptized next Sunday. They ranged in age from 15 to over 70. Each of them told how being a follower of Christ has changed their lives. After that Travis presented a sermon on Psalm 23. He was very nervous about it, but did a fabulous job. Turns out he's quite a good preacher.

After the service we waited around for the church to clear out and then walked to an Italian restaurant for dinner. The food was very good but we didn't get done until after 10 p.m. We walked back to our apartment and went to sleep (at least I did).

Summary:
Weather: It was still clear, but a little warmer especially in the sun, maybe low 80s.

What we ate:
Breakfast- ate in our apartment they supplied cereal and yogurt but we also had some things we brought from home.
Lunch- see above. Everyone ate different things at the houses they visited. I didn't hear any complaints except that they expected us to eat too much.
Dinner- Anna and I split a spaghetti with meat sauce. Mostly everyone else had some kind of pasta or pizza.

What we learned:
-Travis knows a lot about sheep. (Anna came up with that one.)
-All children like to sing Ho-ho-ho-hosanna (that's the favorite Wiggle Worship song too). Special thanks to our translator Olivia for helping me figure out Romanian words that match the rhythm.

What to pray about:
-We begin VBS today (Monday), so pray for good weather, energy for us, cooperative children, and that everything will go smoothly (I almost wrote "will go as planned" but so far nothing has gone as planned and that's been OK.)
-Pray for the meetings tonight with the children's leaders. Travis said he think they have alot of questions for us, please pray they have enough questions to fill the two hours we are supposed to talk to them!

Schedule for Monday:
9 a.m. meet at church for breakfast
10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. VBS activities at park
12:30- 3:00 p.m. Lunch and Rest (somehow we never really get to rest)
3:00-5:00 p.m. More VBS activites at park
6:00-8:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment